Sunday, December 19, 2010

Sari Woes

                     Lot of opinions and suggestions of even reciprocity and retaliation were expressed by many people in relat ion to the pat-down search conducted on our diplomat. But one thing that worries me is the alleged reason for the search. There was a certain tinge of pain when I read ‘Sari Clad’ woman being singled out. One more instance of ‘Sari’ getting wrong PR. Sari getting endangered is not a hallucination of a fundamentalist but a reality that a prospective groom is coming to terms with. Before I am branded as a male chauvinist who wants to control what women needs to wear, I would like to clarify that I am firm believer of give and take. In these days of aping the West in what we eat, drink, talk (swear), watch and wear I may sound anachronistic talking about the ‘beauty’ of a Sari. On an optimistic note I recollect the wide array of Saris and the diversity in their draping styles displayed during the Common Wealth Games in Delhi. Personally I think of confidence, elegance and empowerment only whenever I see a working woman draped in a Sari. If at all I can suggest anything to anybody after this incident, it’s to Ms. Meera Shankar only – to continue to be what she is and what she does and what she wears and I am very proud of her and happy to see her and many others like her in a Sari breaking all the 'glass ceilings'.

No comments: