Monday, October 13, 2008

Random Thoughts In U.S

Some of the random thoughts after i spent 6 weeks in U.S:

1. People are so courteous here. They wave and smile at strangers. I want to be more courteous to everyone from now onwards and also try to 'smile' as much as possible. 'Smile' is the easiest way to get more friends.
2. I am tired of answering 'How are you doing'?. Rarely some people just ask the question and will not even bother to hear the response. :)
3. Football and hockey mean different sports here. Football is American Football and hockey is Ice hockey. Similarly 'Gas' is petrol. :)
4. I understand now why 'Gas' is such an important part of an American's life.
5. Many of the things perceived as 'luxuries' by Indians (or me at least) are 'necessities' here.
6. American advertisements on TV suck. Our advertisements are far far creative and entertaining.
7. American Consumer is really a 'KING'. They get such a wide choice to choose from in everything.
8. Americans are really broad-minded. I am surprised to see many people who like 'Indian' food. Not just Indian, they are very open to trying and experiencing everything from different cultures. Possibly this is because American society is a mix of many nationalities.

Will keep this updated....

9. I read before in some novel about the concept of 'American Citizens being part of the Jury'. I got to know more about this when one of my colleagues was selected for 'Jury Duty' in the last week. My initial feeling is it's good as it gives citizens an idea of the laws and some sense of participating in the system. This can also make Citizens better human beings as they feel some 'empathy'. Don't know if it suits India or not..
10. Presidential Debates - I came to U.S at the heat of election campaign. I got a chance to see all the 4 debates on the T.V. The concept of this 'Independents' is a bit inexplicable for me.
11. Never understood the term 'got bills to pay' until i realized the dependency/use of 'credit cards by Americans.
12. I happened to see the shows 'Deal-No Deal', 'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire' & 'American Idol'. Oh, my God, the Indian versions of these are blatant copies including music, sets and everything. Even though they payed 'Endemol', i think they can put their minds also and do some changes.

More to come....

2 comments:

jags said...

hi ra.. chala bagundi ni blog.. ivvala morning ragane .. started reading your blog.. i am impressed.. english bagundi.. adi cheppakkarledu anuko.. US gurinchi baga rasavu ra.. it is true. inka chaila place photos chustu unte and nuvu cheppindi chadivite.. honey moon ki ikkadike ravalemo anipistondi royi :)

Phani Kiran said...

Thanks Jags for the good words. :) By the way if you need any help for planning 'That' trip to Chail, just ping me :)