Saturday, March 21, 2009

Inkaar To 'Car'

Those who follow business news might be aware that Car Sales increased in India in the month of February. Incidentally 3 of my colleagues also bought their 'dream' cars in this month. Below are few reasons i feel why i should not join them:
1. Even now i had a hangover of the book 'Rich Dad Poor Dad' which says - 'Buy Assests First Before Buying Liabilities'. It says anything that you need to spend money for its maintenance is a liability and i agree that Car will be a liability for me as of now. I dont want to get in this 'rat race' of buying liabilities and then slogging to maintain them.
2. I always feel buying car is easy, but maintaining it is expensive.
3. Compared to a car, i can easily be fast by 5-10 minutes with my 2-wheeler.
4. Pollution & Traffic - One day i was trying to enter into my office in the evening hours when everyone is leaving office. And to my surprise i found that there is no way i can enter the office in those hours. I just cant, i need to park my vehicle somewhere on the road and walk. When i was about to curse the infrastructure of this 'millenium city' called Gurgaon, i noticed that 90% of the cars have only 1 person in it. Why cant they try 'Car Pooling' ?
5. One more reason i dont want to buy a car is just for the sake of 'peer pressure'. Everyone else got a car, so should i ! I am not falling in this trap.
6. Once my sister joked that i dont need a 'car', but i need a 'cycle' so that i can be 'fit'. I think she has a point.
7. Its a fancy for some people to buy a car and just hit the road. I dont know why i am not that 'into' the 'buying' or 'owning' part though i love travelling.

I dont mean that i will not buy car forever, but i will definitely buy when there is a need and hopefully an 'asset' which can take care of its maintenance on a regular basis. As of now, I am thinking of buying a 'cool' bicycle. Lets see..

No comments: