Thursday, March 19, 2009

Donating The Tax

Its 'March', the month-end of the financial year in India. Most of the salaried individuals must be busy in their eleventh hour efforts to save ( actually avoid) tax. Investing in the government prescribed tax rebate schemes, trying to find and use all the possible clauses and sections and trying to get the possible fake receipts. :) Like everyone in the office i also took part in this exercise. Last year i made a donation to 'CRY' and later realized that i can claim tax rebate on that. This year also i thought of doing this and actually wanted to do this every year from now. I am not sure myself why exactly i wanted to do this! Is this for personal gratitude or feel-good or for tax rebate or because i really 'care'. I think i do care and wanted to give back something for the society. I always feel that i am privileged to have the benefits i have today. One day definitely i will volunteer in some NGO activities. I am disappointed there is no response from 'Teach India' till now for my registration.
During this donation one interesting thought came to my mind -- What is the average money spent/donated by a person for betterment of society per year from his earnings? Will it be at least 0.5% ? I honestly hope its more that.
While trying to donate online, there seems to be a broken link in 'CRY' website and at that time, the website showed the below page. I couldnt but appreciate the creativity used in driving their message. Way to go,,, If not online i am going to donate through cheque.


When i saw pictures of my friend running in Standard Chartered Mumbai Marathon, i decided that i will run in one Marathon this year or next year supporting Cry. Relax, not in the full or half marathon, but the 7km 'Dream Run' kind of event. I should target the next Delhi Marathon...:) Wondering how i can start a post with tax and end with a marathon...!:)

No comments: